Sunday, October 27, 2013

Baby, It's Cold Inside

When I was a kid, my Dad used to say I was "stubborn as a mule," referring to my adamant refusal to feed the chickens, to stop trying to convince the parents to take us kids to the beach, or to turn down the blasting music in my room.  Some things never change, but nowadays it's poor Husband who has to put up with it.  My latest challenge that I'm having a hard time giving up on is particularly tough for him, and yes, I'll admit, a bit goofy.  The challenge - not turning the heat on in our house yet.

The first thing that inspired me to try to wait as long as possible is the bills for oil that we got when we first moved in - terrifying.  Husband and I are, luckily, both healthy and gainfully employed, so we can afford to heat our home when we need to, but I can't even imagine how hard it must be for some people who aren't as lucky as we are.

The second thing that inspired me was simply just the test of how long we could go without it.  I mean clearly,  people used to just live that way, how hard could it be?  I've got lots sweaters!  And I always sleep better in a room that's a little chilly, so you can really snuggle up under the covers.

Well, we've made it this far.  Husband says it's like living in the 19th century.


The mornings are tough, but then again, even when it's warm mornings are tough for me.  But getting out from under those warm, cozy covers to get ready for work is particularly hard when it's freezing cold in the house.  Changing from sleep wear to biking-to-work clothes is scary cold and the floors are a nightmare.  Yesterday I bought slippers.


But, it's kinda fun, in a way, when it's winding down time in the evening.  We snuggle up on the couch with some blankets - good thing our Grammies were such skilled knitters - and watch a movie or show....


...and then head to bed.  That first skin-to-sheets contact is difficult, but soon things are toasty.

I know I'm gonna have to give up the game soon; it's getting to the point where even I am wishing for the sound of the furnace coming on.  But in the meantime, what better excuse could you have to say, "hey, come snuggle!"

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment