Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Another Quickie

Supper guys.  I mean supper.

You know how it is when you get home from work and the very last thing in the world you want to do is cook?  It's so much easier just to order in or pop a crappy frozen pizza in the  oven.  Well I'm here today to let you know that's just not necessary.  Especially this time of the year.

Husband and I, on out way home from Thanksgiving at my family's home, stopped at a farmer's market and picked up a bunch of freshly harvested squashes - spaghetti, acorn and my favourite, butternut.  The next day, when I came home from a tiring day at work, I made a soup.

It's very, very simple.  You take your squash, (I used the butternut) peel it and chop it.  Grab an onion, a few potatoes and some garlic.  Slice, chop, mince.


I put it all on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, ground some salt and pepper on top and put it in the oven to roast at 375 degrees for about an hour.

This is when you can do other things - catch up with the hubby, watch that episode of Glee you missed, add another layer to that paper machier project you've been working on, throw in some laundry - you get it.

When the timer rings, bring those roasted veggies on out.  Can you poke a fork through them really easily?  Yeah?  Ok, done.


Don't worry, that white haze in the right corner is neither smog, nor a ghost, just those veggies giving off the most delicious smelling steam.  So let them cool for a few minutes.  Now's the time to try to beat your Candy Crush score.

Then it's simple.  Pull out your food processor.  Dump it all in.  Press the button.


As it's pureeing, pour in some stock - I used chicken stock but use whatever you have - until you get your desired consistency, OR run out of room in the processor.  I like a pretty thick, hearty soup myself, seems more like a meal.


I would normally try to jazz a food photo - foodto? - up with some garnish and better lighting but hey, I was hungry, so you'll just have to forgive me.

The resulting soup is pretty rich and sweet and I have been known to sprinkle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar on top to cut that and give it a little bit of an edge.  But whatever you like, just make sure you take good advantage of the seasonal produce where you are - it'll be the best, I promise!

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment