Monday, May 27, 2013

Better

So BF had a set of chairs that came with his table that we've been using for the last couple of years.  All but one was essentially a death trap on account of its seat's lack of being attached to the rest of the chair, and plus, according to me, they were...well, sorry BF, but. . . .ugly.


So I decided the best thing to do would be a make-over, yay!  I've been obsessed with upholstery fabric for ages now and when I saw one particular one at my local fabric shop a while back, I knew just where it belonged.  But first things first.  Primer.


I primed the whole chair twice and let it dry for a couple days.  Then I spray painted it our colour of choice:


Now, at this juncture, I would like to point out that this paint did not work out so well.  It took a LOT of coats, and it actually scrunched up the primer in places, making it look, up close, all crackly, like a chair that had been sitting in an abandoned barn for ninety years.  I thought I'd done something horribly wrong, but then my friend J admitted that she'd had the same problem with coverage with this very paint.  She also said that she's a fan of Krylon in general and has never had that issue before, so it must just be this specific paint.  Too bad!  

Anyway, I painted the heck out of this chair, and let it dry for a while too.  Then I grabbed my scissors and my trusty staple gun and re-covered the seat.  (Thanks for your help, T!) And voila!


Much better, I think; funky and bright and a nice, cheap improvement project.  My intention is to do each of the chairs a bit differently, but with the same colours.  One down . . . . . 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment