Monday, March 4, 2013

Sometimes You Just Need A Quickie

Get your minds out of the gutter, I'm talking about supper, of course!  Sheesh!

BF and I are crazy busy now-a-days, with getting the house cleaned and fixed up and the apartment organized and packed and cleaned up, plus our day jobs, plus trying to maintain enough of a life so as to not loose our minds before we even move.  SO, sometimes when we are hungry but don't want to order out, we just rely on old faithfuls, like risotto and barbeque.

As always I was in charge of the risotto, so this post is mostly about that, and I forgot to take an ingredients photo, so you'll just have to trust the captions.  I made a lemon and rosemary risotto.  

First, as always, melt some butter with a bit of olive oil in your saucepan.


Next, toss in your rosemary and onion.

About 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped; two small onions, diced.

Sautee the rosemary and onion for a few minutes, until the onion just becomes soft.  Now add the rice and garlic.

I used 1 cup of arborio and about 1 tbsp of minced, roasted garlic.
Stir all the ingredients until the rice is coated and let it fry for a few minutes.  


Now start to slowly add your broth - I used chicken broth for this one.  I usually just pour in a little at a time and stir fairly constantly.  Have several cups on hand.  In the meantime, grate the zest of one lemon and then juice it.  Between additions of broth, add a little of the lemon juice until it's gone.  Set the zest aside.

I usually end up using about 3-4 cups of broth per cup of rice.

When your arborio has reached the texture you desire, and the risotto is of a consistency that you like, add some grated parmesan cheese.

I don't know what happened to the colours here, but I swear, that's parmesan cheese.
Stir it thoroughly and divide it into serving sizes right away.  I used the zest and a sprig of rosemary as garnish.


I have to show off BF's amazing bbq skills too:


He always makes his own sauces, rubs and marinades, in this case a delicious, rich sauce that combines the complex flavours of Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, citrus and rosemary.  Soooooo gooooood!!


Anyhoo, hope you all have full bellies too! Till next time, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment