Soooo I suppose I jumped the gun a bit with the last post in so far as my declarations of weekly creations and posts is concerned. I've got my reasons of course (distractions: moving in! parties! film fest! cute boyfriend! disastrously disorganized workspace! road trips!) but no matter! This entry, this one you are reading right now, let's consider this one to be the first official post and we'll just go on from here. Agreed? Great, thanks!
I coated the whole thing with a white base coat first and then spent many hours here and there over about a week painting all the little details. It's odd, I like painting either in this sort of style, with a teeny little brush and lots of elements to look at, or painting on huge canvases with big brushes and a bolder style.
Next is a project that took me forever, not just because I'd never done it before and so had to really think about each step a lot and work through some trial and error, but also because it was meant to be a birthday gift to my sweet, sweet BF who, as most of you know, I now live with. So I had to sneak work time in when he was at work or when ever else I could sneak a minute in here and there. It's a leather bound journal.
As I said, it was my first time so it's not as perfect as I'd like it to be, but I'll get better at it with practice.
I used sheets of paper from two sketch books I got and trimmed them down. Then I folded them all in half and put them together in groups of five full sheets each, making several ten page sections. I punctured holes down the side and began to sew the sections together with a waxed thread. Now here is where the trial and error came in. I soon realized that by pulling the thread tight I was tearing the paper, but if I didn't pull it tight the book would be sloppy and loose. After a while I figured out that if I cut very thin pieces of fabric and sew that along the edge of each section of paper, the fabric would prevent the paper from tearing. Yay!
Next I cut the lovely leather, donated by my sweet and also artsy-fartsy friend T, so that the edges would overlap the cardboard I cut for the cover. Unfortunately I cut one edge a bit too short and I was barely able to fold it over. Lesson learned! Double and triple check before you cut!! Anyway, I was mostly able to cover up my mistake with some lovely paper I found at the art shop down the street:
I chose the Parisian themed paper on account of it being one of the BF's favorite places.
Next projects are a necklace and a breacelet. I've been making jewelry for, like, twenty years and have decided that I am going to really get at it and make my business official. I'm hoping to do some craft fairs over the holiday season and get my stuff out there. Anyhoo, here are a couple samples of what I've been working on lately.